Tips for moving in L.A.
Los Angeles is a vibrant and exciting city to live in. People are attracted to this coastal city for a variety of reasons, including artistic opportunities, the thrilling nightlife, and the balmy climate. Whatever your reason is for moving to Los Angeles, you have chosen an exciting city to live in, and one bursting with opportunities.
Unfortunately, given the high population of this city, the moving process can be rather difficult. Apartments are in high demand, making the search for openings a time-consuming task. The lack of apartments is tiring to deal with, even if you are not picky about where you live and how much you pay for rent. If you are particular about these details, moving will be made that much more difficult. Once you have finally found your dream apartment you will need to find qualified Los Angeles movers. Finally, you must pack up your things and begin the lengthy process of moving. Knowing the difficulties entailed by moving, you may struggle to remember why you were so eager to move in the first place! However, the following tips and suggestions should help guide you through the process and make moving in L.A. a lot less of a headache.
Choosing a Neighborhood
If you are particular about the type of neighborhood in which you want to live, you are best off choosing this and then looking for an apartment. The perfect apartment could be a disaster to live in if it is located in the wrong community. The first thing to do is list out the qualities you are looking for in your ideal community. Good schools? Parks? Nightlife? Commute lenght? Make a point of researching and visiting several L.A. communities until you find a few that you like.
Choosing an Apartment or House
If you aren't picky about your community, you can skip the previous directions and start the apartment search right away. Otherwise, be sure to select your ideal neighborhood first. Now, look anywhere and everywhere for vacancies. Visit as many open houses as you can, and scrutinize each apartment or house thoroughly. When you find a place you like, talk to the landlord and apply immediately! Vacancies don't last long in L.A.
Los Angeles Movers
Read up on all potential Los Angeles moving companies and ask for recommendations from friends and family members, because there are a lot of fraudulent Los Angeles movers.
Other considerations to keep in mind:
- The best movers will be certified and possess moving permits.
- Choose a Los Angeles moving company that offers insurance, in case something is broken while moving.
- If you are moving from another state, use a Los Angeles moving company with GPS trucks so that you can easily track their progress.
- Have each potential Los Angeles moving company prepare an estimate, in person, never over the phone.
- Have several back-up Los Angeles movers, just in case.
- Contact the L.A. Better Business Bureau (BBB) to make sure the Los Angeles moving company is reliable.
- Call the Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) to get performance reports on interstate movers.
Visit our moving resource center to learn more about moving like a pro.